If it’s getting too toasty to wear your favorite leggings, yoga shorts may be the answer. Obviously you want them lightweight yet sturdy, breathable without being sheer, and functional but still cute.
And while we’ve covered all sorts of yoga gear — including the best yoga tops for women, the best yoga blocks for beginners to the expert , and the best yoga towels for hot yoga — read on, for your buying guide to the 15 best women’s yoga shorts.
- Best Yoga Shorts For Women Reviews
- 1. Custer’s Night Yoga Shorts – The Petite-to-Plus-Size Shorts
- 2. Munvot Yoga Shorts – The Pretty-Print Shorts
- 3. SweatyRocks Camouflage Hot Shorts – The Everyday Short Shorts
- 4. THE GYM PEOPLE High Waist Yoga Shorts – The Loose-Skin Shorts
- 5. ODODOS High Waist Out Pocket – The Long-Legged Yogi Shorts
- 6. ChinFun Yoga Shorts – The Pool-Friendly Yoga Shorts
- 7. 90 Degree By Reflex Power Flex Yoga Shorts – The Popular Shorts
- 8. Osne4u Yoga Running Sports Shorts with 2 Pockets – The Medium-Rise Knee-Length Shorts
- 9. Liangxing Women 4″ 8″ High-Waist Shorts – The Cute Mesh Detail Shorts
- 10. Spowind Women’s Long Bermuda Shorts – The Everyday Bermudas
- 11. Jonivey Yoga Shorts – The Affordable-but-Durable Shorts
- 12. Kamo Fitness High-Waist Shorts – The Skimpy Shorts
- 13. BALEAF Women’s 8″ /5″ /2″ High-Waist Shorts – The Tummy-Control Shorts
- 14. AS ROSE RICH Yoga Shorts – The No-Side-Pocket Long Shorts
- 15. Homma Women’s Seamless Compression Heathered Yoga Shorts – The Heathered Shorts
- What to Look for in Yoga Shorts
- What to Avoid
- Wrap Up
Best Yoga Shorts For Women Reviews
Take a look at our reviews of the 15 best women’s yoga shorts.
1. Custer’s Night Yoga Shorts – The Petite-to-Plus-Size Shorts
These moderately priced high-waist shorts come in five sizes from S to 2XL and feature three secure pockets.
They come in two fabric blends: Either 52% nylon, 35% polyester, and 13% spandex, or 83% polyester and 17% spandex. Both blends are breathable, flexible, and moisture-wicking.
The high waistband affords you tummy control and guarantees your bottom won’t slip out in squats and inversions.
- These shorts stay put
- Ideal for plus-sized yogis and new moms
- Side pocket big enough for iPhone
- Crotch design may mimic camel toe
2. Munvot Yoga Shorts – The Pretty-Print Shorts
Add a splash of color to your workout with the beautiful galaxy-like print. The sweat-wicking fabric is 88% polyester and 12% lycra, soft enough to be comfortable, breathable, and flexible while keeping you dry.
These affordable shorts won’t ride up or roll down the waist. The flatlock-stitch seams are chafe-proof and the fabric won’t shrink in the wash.
The gusseted crotch gives you more freedom of movement. Your appearance also matters, and here the high-rise waist ensures you won’t get a muffin top.
- Full coverage during squats and inversions
- Not see-through thanks to the lined fabric
- The side pocket can fit up to one 5.5” phone
- Some people may find the waistband uncomfortable
3. SweatyRocks Camouflage Hot Shorts – The Everyday Short Shorts
These affordable upper-thigh shorts are 95% polyester and 5% spandex, giving you breathability, flexibility, and excellent moisture-wicking.
The fabric is durable and light enough for the summer heat. It’s also silky soft and not see-through. These shorts would be great if the sizes were a bit more accurate. They tend to run small so you may want to size up if you want a loose fit.
- Camouflage print makes them suitable as casual wear
- Drawstring adds a sporty touch
- Some people may find the drawstring cord too long
4. THE GYM PEOPLE High Waist Yoga Shorts – The Loose-Skin Shorts
If you have loose skin because of rapid weight loss or any other reason, these moderately priced shorts are ideal for you. The high-rise wide waistband holds your tummy in throughout your yoga session.
These moisture-wicking, quick-to-dry shorts come with an elastic closure and a 30-day refund if you’re not satisfied. They’re made with breathable, flexible four-way stretch fabric.
- Excellent compression for loose belly/skin
- Two side pockets can fit a phone
- May ride up
- May cause muffin top
5. ODODOS High Waist Out Pocket – The Long-Legged Yogi Shorts
These high-rise shorts are 86% polyester and 14% spandex, giving you breathability, flexibility, and quick-dry moisture-wicking. The fabric is a four-way stretch, so you can move with more freedom, and it’s not see-through, so you don’t have to worry about anything private showing.
These shorts are available in plus sizes. They’re a little expensive but come with a full 30-day money-back guarantee. The high-rise waist ensures a full coverage, but this manufacturer also makes a mid-rise version if you’re not a fan of high-rise waists.
- These shorts stay in place
- Ideal for long-legged people
- Pocket large enough to fit 5.2” phone
- White is sheer
- Not invisible under tight clothing
- Not effective for belly control
6. ChinFun Yoga Shorts – The Pool-Friendly Yoga Shorts
If you want moderately priced yoga shorts you can also swim in, these are the shorts for you. These four-way stretch mid-thigh shorts are 88% polyester and 12% spandex, giving you breathability, flexibility, and quick-dry comfort.
The fabric is not see-through but still silky enough that lint and pet hairs don’t stick to it. The ergonomic design contours to the body with a streamlined look. They also come with triangular crotch gusseting and four-needle six-thread stitching, ensuring the seams are flat and giving you more freedom of movement.
The 6.5” in-seam protects you against chafing and provides coverage.
- Can double as swimming bottom
- Excellent tummy compression
- Near-invisible side pockets big enough for 5.5” phone
- Too thick to wear under dress/skirt
7. 90 Degree By Reflex Power Flex Yoga Shorts – The Popular Shorts
You’ve probably seen other yogis wearing or talking about buying these pricey shorts by the brand 90 Degree by Reflex.
These shorts are 87% nylon and 13% spandex, giving you breathability and flexibility. They won’t ride up thanks to their secured interlocked hem.
The high-waist 5.5” shorts come with four-way stretch for greater flexibility. They contour your bottom into the coveted hourglass shape. The moisture-wicking fabric ensures that you dry quickly no matter how much you sweat.
The interlocked seams limit rubbing and chafing. The gusseted crotch gives you freer movement.
These shorts come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked.
- Excellent tummy control
- Hidden pocket for small essentials
- Can’t be heat-dried
8. Osne4u Yoga Running Sports Shorts with 2 Pockets – The Medium-Rise Knee-Length Shorts
These medium-rise knee-length fitted shorts are 89% polyester and 11% spandex. This means they are sweat-wicking, chafe-proof, breathable, and flexible.
The knee-length is ideal for the conservative yogi. These moderately priced shorts come with two pockets: One hidden waist pocket for small essentials like keys and cards, and one side pocket that can hold a 5.5” phone.
These shorts run big so you may need to size down.
- Knee-length prevents sweaty-leg slippage
- Doubles as casual wear and shapewear
- Can be machine-washed
- Don’t provide full coverage
- Some people may find the side pocket too small
9. Liangxing Women 4″ 8″ High-Waist Shorts – The Cute Mesh Detail Shorts
If you like basic sports gear with a cute touch, these high-rise upper-thigh shorts are ideal for you. The mesh detail on the side adds a flirty touch to these affordable shorts.
They’re 88% polyester and 12% spandex, giving you breathability, flexibility, and excellent moisture-wicking. The fabric is also a comfy four-way stretch and isn’t see-through.
- Two side pockets big enough for a phone and small essentials
- Snug fit doesn’t ride up
- Waistband compression can be poor
- May cause muffin top
- Mesh part may go up too high
10. Spowind Women’s Long Bermuda Shorts – The Everyday Bermudas
If you’re self-conscious, conservative, or just not a fan of regular skintight shorts, these moderately priced Bermuda shorts are the ideal pick for you. Made of 90% cotton and 10% spandex, they are shrink-proof and remarkably comfortable. They also come with an inner drawstring closure for a better, more secure fit.
The spandex provides some moisture-wicking properties and makes the fabric lightweight and breathable. The nature of the fabric is soft enough to ensure low friction and no chafing.
These tend to run a little on the small side. If you’d like some extra room, it’s better to size up.
- Reduced slipping
- Two side pockets and back patch for phone, kets, etc.
- Can double as casual wear
- Limited stretchability because of high cotton percentage
11. Jonivey Yoga Shorts – The Affordable-but-Durable Shorts
These moderately priced shorts are 87% nylon and 13% spandex, giving you breathability, flexibility, and moisture-wicking. They come with flatlock seams for enhanced comfort and reduced skin irritation.
The high-rise waistband is double-layered and folded for maximum tummy control. The gusseted crotch allows more freedom of movement.
- Six-inch side pockets for phone, keys, and other small items
- Pretty darker stitching detail
- Color may differ than picture
12. Kamo Fitness High-Waist Shorts – The Skimpy Shorts
If you’ve got it, go ahead and flaunt it without worrying about a mid-inversion wardrobe malfunction. These moderately priced super short shorts will stay put throughout your yoga session. They’re 84% nylon and 16% spandex, so they’re stretchy and breathable without being see-through.
The fabric wicks away moisture and dries quickly.
You don’t have to worry about your underpants showing thanks to the high-rise waist. Keep in mind that these shorts tend to run small, so it’s a good idea to size up.
- Excellent tummy-compression waistband
- Backstrap can be pulled down or up
- No muffin top
- May not stay put on plus-sized people
13. BALEAF Women’s 8″ /5″ /2″ High-Waist Shorts – The Tummy-Control Shorts
A little on the expensive side, these shorts are 87% polyester and 13% spandex, giving you breathability, flexibility, and moisture-wicking.
The high-rise waist protects you against a muffin-top appearance and provides full coverage during squats, inversions, and other tricky poses. The gusseted crotch gives you more freedom of movement.
Wear these for yoga, as shapewear, or for chub-rub protection under a dress or skirt. The seams are ergonomic and chafe-proof and the fabric is soft, durable, and not see-through.
- Side pockets big enough for 5.5” phone
- Internal waistband pocket
- Excellent tummy-compression waistband
- May not be high-rise on taller women
- Lint may form on thigh inside
14. AS ROSE RICH Yoga Shorts – The No-Side-Pocket Long Shorts
Moderately priced, these high-rise shorts are 87% nylon and 13% spandex, making them breathable, flexible, and moisture-wicking. The fabric is durable and soft without being see-through.
The elastic closure minimizes irritation and is chafe-proof. The gusseted crotch allows more freedom of movement.
These shorts are tight around your hamstrings and will stay in place no matter how vigorous your workout is. They tend to run small so it may be a good idea to size up.
- Tummy-compression waistband
- Aesthetically pleasing details with slimming effect.
- No side pockets
- Hidden back pocket won’t fit a phone
15. Homma Women’s Seamless Compression Heathered Yoga Shorts – The Heathered Shorts
Along with the cheaper price, the heathered pattern on these medium-rise upper-thigh shorts distinguishes them from regular yoga or workout shorts.
They’re 60% nylon, 28% polyester, and 12% spandex, giving you breathability and flexibility. These shorts are thick and not see-through.
- Strong belly and thigh compression
- Super-soft thanks to the unique dye process
- Seamless waistband for more comfort
- No pockets
- May ride up if used for running
- The waist may be higher than medium-rise on some people
What to Look for in Yoga Shorts
Lightweight enough to be breathable, heavy enough to stay in place, thick enough not to be see-through: Those are just three things you want in your yoga shorts.
They should also be versatile enough for the odd errand, modest enough for picking the kids up from school, yet pretty enough in case you run into that cute new neighbor.
It’s a lot to ask of one relatively tiny article of clothing, but we’ve got you covered. Here are the main things to look for in yoga shorts.
It’s natural to want to look your best, but remember that yoga is an ancient practice that aims to heal the body and the soul.
You might squeeze into a pair of painfully tight shorts to look slim, but you won’t be able to give your poses the focus they deserve.
Your priority should be to tune into your body rather than worrying about how you look. The more comfortable your clothes are, the clearer your mind will be.
If you don’t do hot yoga or you don’t sweat that much, the length of the legs won’t matter; however, if you do hot yoga or tend to sweat buckets especially in a fierce heatwave, the ideal length of your shorts is mid-thigh to knee-length.
You don’t want to attempt poses like crow or tree and slip because your sweat-slick thighs are exposed. The longer the legs of your shorts, the more protected you’ll be against slipping during poses where your arms support your legs, or one leg supports the other.
As you lunge and squat and contort, you need a fabric that moves with you effortlessly like a second skin.
You don’t need a hem that cuts into your thigh as you bend your leg, or a baggy leg that bunches up in downward dog.
Breathable fabrics wick away sweat, helping you dry faster and stay cool.
This means you’re comfortable rather than overheated during your yoga session. By the end of the session, you should be nearly dry, which protects you against catching a cold.
Depending on your coverage needs, high-rise shorts with legs that don’t fall open or ride up are your best bet.
A high-rise waist ensures your bottom doesn’t slip out in squats and inversions. Secure legs protect you from accidentally flashing your fellow yogis.
If you’re an active yogi, you’ll probably end up washing your yoga shorts two or three times a week.
A good-quality durable pair will retain their color and shape. This will save you the inconvenience and expense of having to order another pair and missing a session or two in the meantime.
Cleaning and Drying
Can you toss your yoga pair in the washing machine with other colors then heat-dry it, saving time and effort? Can you hang it up to dry?
Or does your pair of yoga shorts need to be hand-washed only? Do they have to be laid flat to dry?
If you don’t own many yoga shorts or you’re a six-sessions-a-week yogi, you’ll want something that washes and dries quickly so it’s ready for your next session.
What do you tend to do in your yoga gear?
If you wear your yoga clothes strictly to the studio and back home, versatility won’t matter much to you.
It’s a different story if you practically live in your yoga gear, running errands on the way to the studio or picking up the kids afterward.
If so, make sure you pick something that can double as casual wear. This way you can do your yoga thing properly but still, look presentable at the store or during the school run.
What to Avoid
Yoga shorts, like most yoga clothes, depend on personal preference. That said, it’s recommended to steer clear of these two things.
Cotton is a prized fabric, but not when you’re going to sweat a lot.
Not only does cotton offer zero chafing protection, but it also retains moisture. This means you’ll stay damp and sticky with sweat throughout your session.
It also means that you’ll be uncomfortably and suddenly chilly afterward when your body has cooled down. This could make it easy to catch a cold.
Most white shorts will turn out see-through, regardless of the brand label.
If your shorts are opaque dry, they’ll almost certainly turn see-through as soon as you start working up a sweat, broadcasting your underwear or lack thereof to your fellow yogis.
White shorts also attract and keep stains faster than you can say Namaste.
High-rise enough to be squat-proof and long enough to prevent slippage, the Custer’s Night Yoga Shorts stand head and shoulders above the rest.
With three secure pockets, they come in five sizes to fit the petite yogi, the plus-size yogi, and all sizes in between. They stay put, dry quickly, and afford you excellent belly control.
If you’re not a fan of shorts with longer legs, then our top pick is the Munvot Yoga Shorts. With their beautiful galaxy-like print in several pleasing colors, these shorts are silky soft, breathable, and flexible.
They won’t ride up or roll down and won’t shrink in the wash. The high-rise waist makes them squat-proof without giving you a muffin top, and the lined fabric means they’re blissfully opaque. Make sure you also check our guide to the best squat proof leggings.
Yorvana is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.